SUPERFOODS are a class of the most potent, super-concentrated, nutrient-rich foods on the planet. They have the ability to tremendously increase the vital force and energy of one’s body and are the optimum choice for improving overall health.
Superfoods boost the immune system, elevate serotonin production, enhances sexuality, cleanses the body, decreases inflammation and alkalizes pH levels. Those benefits in themselves, will have us clamoring for more.
Why introduce superfoods into your lifestyle? I've listed a few of them below. Superfoods should be used in a delivery system, such as smoothies, salad dressings and puddings, and the list goes on...
Here are a few that we play with and some of the benefits you'll experience by incorporating.
SPIRULINA: A blue-green algae containing the world’s highest source of complete protein (65%). Provides a vast array of minerals, trace elements, phytonutrients and enzymes. Comes in powder or pill form.
- · Increases our internal production of stem cells.
- · Is a vital superfood
- · Purifies the liver
- · A great alkalizer
- Balances flora
- · Relieves allergies
- · Increases energy
Find Spirulina in Plantbar's Blossoming Lotus, Palm Beach Bowl, Nutty Banana. Add to Sublime for an extra boost.
CHLORELLA: A green algae. One of the most nutrient dense superfoods in the world. More nutrient dense per gram than other greens, including kale, spinach and broccoli. Comes in powder or pill form.
- · Highest chlorophyll of any plant
- · Enhances mental clarity
- · Loaded with beta carotene (powerful antioxidant)
- · Good for clearer eyes and skin
- · Powerful heavy metal and pesticide detoxification
- · Helps with regular bowel function
Add Chlorella to any smoothie, juice or chia bowl.
CACAO: beans are seeds of the Theobroma cacao tree, a small evergreen tree grown in Mexico and South America. Cacao beans are roasted and ground to produce cocoa. Here, we are talking about the raw, unadulterated cacao powder; where all quality chocolate comes from.
- · Highest antioxidant food on the planet
- · #1 source of magnesium, iron, manganese, and chromium
- · Improves cardiovascular heath, builds strong bones
- · A natural aphrodisiac, elevates your mood and energy
Find Cacao in Plantbar's Macaroon smoothie
MACA: A staple in the Peruvian Andes for thousands of years. It is said that the Mayans used Maca to build the Mayan pyramids because it gave them strength. Increases energy, endurance, strength and libido. Dried maca contains more than 10% protein and nearly 20 amino acids, including 7 essential aminos. Contains 5x more protein than a potato and 4x more fiber.
- · Boosts libido
- · Rich in Vitamins B, C & E
- · Mood enhancing
- · Hormone balancing
- · Improved Energy and stamina
- · Clears acne and blemishes
Find Maca in Plantbar's Macaroon smoothie
CHIA SEEDS: a flowering plant related to the mint family. The seeds are used in many drinks and recipes and are a complete protein.
- · High in fiber
- · A perfect balance of Omega 3’s and 6’s
- · Cleans digestive tract
- · Great for digestion
Find Chia Seeds in Plantbar's Lightning Bowl and Palm Beach Bowl. Add to any smoothie. Sublime is a favorite to add chia seeds.
TURMERIC: Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. Turmeric is from the ginger family.It is a traditional Ayurvedic "superherb"
- · Turmeric is the spice that gives curry its yellow color. It has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb
- · Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- · Curcumin is strongly anti-inflammatory. It is so powerful that it matches the effectiveness of some anti-inflammatory drugs such as Advil.
- · Turmeric dramatically increases the antioxidant capacity of the body.
- · Curcumin leads to several changes on the molecular level that may help prevent and perhaps even treat cancer
Find Turmeric in Plantbar's Golden Lassie smoothie or ask for the fresh turmeric root to be added to your favorite juice.
- · Contains nearly all B vitamins especially B9 (folate) and all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein
- · It’s the most complete food found in nature
- · It is the first food known to man
- · Honey never spoils
- · In its organic, wild, raw, unfiltered states, is rich in minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, and enzymes and is one of the highest vibration food on the planet
- · If your metabolism can handle sweeteners, honey is the best
We use raw. local honey in our Chia Bowls and it can be added to any of our smoothies.
If you are interested in trying one or all of these superfoods, a simple Google search should help you incorporate them into recipes at home. We frequently include superfood recipes on our website and as usual, If you want to see how they taste and explore new ways of implementing, come to the Plantbar and let's play with them!
Eat, Drink, Thrive
Plantbar's Integrative Health Coach